Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Journey begins (well for me anyway)

Well I have left Idaho. I am on the plane between Spokane and Los Angeles. I will attempt to post this at LAX.

The day began early the alarm went off at 3:15 AM. (that’s harsh). I said my goodbyes to Sharon and the kids. They are staying in Idaho for three more weeks. Sharon will sign the closing papers on the house and tie up the final lose ends. Be in prayer for her as she still has more than I am comfortable with her having to deal with. I know she will be hesitant to ask others for help.

The movers came on Thursday and loaded up the items that we are shipping to Siliguri. They said it will take six to eight weeks for it to arrive. They brought a 196 cu ft. wooden container to pack the items in. It was rather stressful trying to determine exactly what we were going to be able to take. Sharon did a great job prioritizing items with colored stickers. Things that must go and things that will stay behind if we run out of room. Long & short is it all fit. We actually had about 5 cu. Ft. left over. That’s better than having too much stuff, but unfortunately, you pay for the space anyway. Ouch!

Jeff took me to the airport this morning. That was a difficult time for me, Jeff signed up for the Marines, so I am not sure when I will get to see my son again. It’s really weird to say that. May the Lord be with him. I am glad he went into the terminal with me. I knew my bags were going to be overweight, but I did not know by how much. The first on was fine (68 lbs.) but the second weighed in at a whopping 81. I thought I would just pay the overage. The two ladies were on the computer for about 5 minutes figuring out the charge. They told me my 11 lb overage would run me $421. Quick change of plans. I started unloading items an reweighing the bag. I had Jeff take home some of the items and the rest were crammed into my carryon. Hugs for my son then off to the gate I went.

As I sat at the gate I pondered all of the goodbyes that were said over the last week. So many people that I will be missing. Particularly touching was the phone call that I made to my friends in Cuba. I had to let them know that I would not be able to come and visit them before my departure for India. That really broke their heart, it was hard call. I have a very special place in my heart for Cuba and my friends there.

I will wrap up now, I scored three empty seats in a row so I am going to try to get some shut eye. It is 7:45 Saturday morning, no bed until Monday morning in Singapore. I am glad the flight time changed a couple of years ago. You have a long enough layover in Singapore that the airline puts you up in a hotel for the day. In the past you did not get to sleep in a bed until about 2:oo AM Tuesday in Kolkata, India. Life is good.!

2 Comments:

Blogger thehotrodqueen said...

bro, i'm glad you got to post this on your way...ahhh, technology. ;) i know the flight must have been long. i hope you get (got?) some much needed rest in singapore. can't wait to read more! love from your sis!

10/01/2006 9:54 AM  
Blogger ErinG said...

Hey Dad! I hope you are doing well and that everything is going smoothly. We already miss you a lot. I know you haven't been gone long but this time I know you're not coming back for a long time. I'm just glad that we'll get to see you in less than 2 months. Talk to you soon hopefully. Love ya lots!

10/01/2006 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



What ru looking for?