Another week wraps up
With Christmas quickly approaching I have noticed a few more Christmas decorations at some of the shops around town. West Bengal is a very strike prone area and we just avoided what would have been a 48 hour strike. When there are strikes most, if not everything, shuts down. I am glad that this strike was called off as it would have put a serious damper on the Christmas festivities. A couple of weeks ago I was stuck in Kolkata for an extra day because of a strike that shut everything down. No road rail or air travel.
I do enjoy the Christmas season, even here. Sharon has been baking a lot of cookies and treats. Many of the ministries are shut down until after the first of the year. Last night we had several of the local area churches come by the house caroling. It was a treat and helps us to really get in the Christmas mood.
Starting with Christmas Eve service the local church we attend will be kicking off almost nonstop festivities. It causes me to wonder if this is how the believers in the US once celebrated Christmas; before we became such a mobile society and all of the distractions were added. I think here the church is truly these people’s new family when you consider that many have been disowned by their biological family. It only makes sense that they would spend this time together at the church. Even though we have been very involved with our church in the US, it will be an adjustment giving up some of our traditions and receiving some new ones.
As I sit out on our deck writing, I am listening to the chirping of our new parakeets. Our neighbors gave each of us one for a Christmas present. They really add to the atmosphere out here on the deck. They answer to the songs of the wild birds sitting in the nearby trees and bushes.
This last week Josh got to experience his first haircut in India. Since they do not speak much English he said they kind of push your head around a bit. They do a great job and the price is right at about 75 cents US. Also, as a family we began our Hindi lessons this last week. This is going to be a difficult language. Unfortunately because of my schedule I have already missed a lesson. Sharon and the kids will have to fill me in. We have a young lady come to the house three times a week. I’ll let you know how it goes.
We have also downloaded the program “Skype”. This allows us to keep in good contact with you folks back home. If you have a headset for your computer you can download this, if you have a broadband connection it works very well and best of all it lets us talk free.
Once again, Merry Christmas. I hope to post more over the holidays.
I do enjoy the Christmas season, even here. Sharon has been baking a lot of cookies and treats. Many of the ministries are shut down until after the first of the year. Last night we had several of the local area churches come by the house caroling. It was a treat and helps us to really get in the Christmas mood.
Starting with Christmas Eve service the local church we attend will be kicking off almost nonstop festivities. It causes me to wonder if this is how the believers in the US once celebrated Christmas; before we became such a mobile society and all of the distractions were added. I think here the church is truly these people’s new family when you consider that many have been disowned by their biological family. It only makes sense that they would spend this time together at the church. Even though we have been very involved with our church in the US, it will be an adjustment giving up some of our traditions and receiving some new ones.
As I sit out on our deck writing, I am listening to the chirping of our new parakeets. Our neighbors gave each of us one for a Christmas present. They really add to the atmosphere out here on the deck. They answer to the songs of the wild birds sitting in the nearby trees and bushes.
This last week Josh got to experience his first haircut in India. Since they do not speak much English he said they kind of push your head around a bit. They do a great job and the price is right at about 75 cents US. Also, as a family we began our Hindi lessons this last week. This is going to be a difficult language. Unfortunately because of my schedule I have already missed a lesson. Sharon and the kids will have to fill me in. We have a young lady come to the house three times a week. I’ll let you know how it goes.
We have also downloaded the program “Skype”. This allows us to keep in good contact with you folks back home. If you have a headset for your computer you can download this, if you have a broadband connection it works very well and best of all it lets us talk free.
Once again, Merry Christmas. I hope to post more over the holidays.



3 Comments:
glad you got to see some of the snow in our backyard tonight. hope the neighbor's christmas lights and snow got you more into the mood. i do miss the warm weather though. enjoy it for me.
merry christmas
i have friday thru christmas off. it really helps to get me in the christmas spirit not to have to work the last couple of days before christmas. i get to avoid the hectic shoppers and all the big commercialism that goes along with working in retail. i am excited to see dad and the kids on christmas eve. bruce will be cooking us a huge and yummy christmas feast for us on christmas afternoon too. merry christmas to you all! :)
p.s. we have a parakeet named donald. it is so cheerful to hear him singing...especially when he hears the birds from outside.
Post a Comment
<< Home